Monday, March 5, 2012

ch 23 - 25

               There were some ideas in "The Kite Runner" that I can relate to, but there was one main concept that took place through almost the entire book.  This was Amir trying to get over the guilt of watching Hassan get raped.  There have been things in my life that I feel guilty for and it is very hard to get over the guilt.  The things I have felt guilty for have not been as severe as watching a friend get raped, but they still can make you feel very bad about it.  The part of this subject that I can relate to the most is how Amir feels at the very last lines of the book.  He shows the joy of finally feeling like he made up for what he did.  Amir shows this by thinking, "I ran.  A grown man running with a swarm of screaming children.  But I didn't care.  I ran with the wind blowing in my face, and a smile as wideas the Valley of Panjsher on my lips.  I ran,"
(Hosseini 371).  Amir is finally completely happy.  He does not have any nagging memories of his past.  For me, this is one of the best feelings, and it seems like a very good feeling for Amir too.  Do you feel very relieved after you solve a nagging problem like this?
               One thing that was said during the story made me consider how people change.  I had never thought of people changing alot.  I think of them always being the same, never changing.  The book changed my point of view with this.  This happened when Amir narrates, "Images of the TV reflected in his green eyes as he watched, stone-faced, rocking back and forth," (Hosseini 312).  This sentence showed me how people can change dramtically so easily.  It only takes one event in a persons life to change everything about them.  Before Sohrab's mother and father died he was a very good loveable child.  After the death of his parents he never talked.  He was a very different kid that did not socialize or seem very happy with anything.  Do you think it is very easy for people to change so much like Sohrab did?
               The book also showed me how bad of a place Kabul is.  I had thought it was just a place where there were a few bad people but the majority was good.  I was wrong.  The story showed me this when Amir was telling Sohrab that he might have to go back to an orphanage for a little.  Sohrab is deathly scared of this and he shows this by crying and saying, "I'm scared of that place.  They'll hurt me!  I don't want to go," (Hosseini 341).  This is a lot of fear that Sohrab is showing.  He is deadly scared of going back to this place.  That shows how terrible he was treated there.  I have been scared of things but never as scared as Sohrab was at that moment.  Do you think it is reasonable for Sohrab to be as scraed as he was?

2 comments:

  1. Yes i do, after finally being able to let go of something that has been bothering me for long time, it feels very to be able yo just let it go and move on.
    I do not think it is easy for people to change so much. Im sure sohrab very much wanted to talk to Amir and his new family, but was still very upset at them for trying to send him back to the orphanage. Anyone who changes so much in the was Sohrab did must not be very happy and it must not be easy to shut everyone out when you know you really want to forgave them.
    Yes i do believe it is very reasonable for Sohrab to be that scared to go back to the orphanage. There he has nothing but bad memories and is afraid if he returns then the same things might happen again,and there is a chance that it might. So there for he had every right to be as afraid as he was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Nick,
    I feel greatly relieved when guilt and problems like Amir's are lifted off my shoulder. It really clears your mind and makes you feel a lot more happier. I think when children especially under go tragedies like in this video http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=mtBd5wWksbI children can drastically be changed like Sohrab. Children are more subseptiable to be changed drastically because they havent fully developed yet. So when trageic events happen it can stick with them and affect them for the rest of their life.
    I believe that Sohrab had a perfectly good reason to be scared, he was raped, starved, and sold. Therefore Sohrab doesnt have very good expierences at orphanages.
    Sincerely,
    Benjamin sawyer

    ReplyDelete